Australian Visas

There are a variety of visa options for working in Australia.

To work in Australia you need to have resident status, a working holiday visa, a work and holiday visa or a full-time overseas student visa (which allows you to work up to 20 hours per week).

Permanent resident applicants are assessed for immigration on a points system, but English language teaching does not earn any points on the assessment.


Working Holiday visa (UK, Canada, Ireland & Malta)

This visa is for people aged 18 to 30 years of age, who are interested in a working holiday of up to 12 months in Australia (applicants must have turned 18, but not turned 31, at the time of visa application).

This visa allows you to supplement the cost of your holiday through incidental employment. You may apply for this visa if you hold a passport for one of the countries or regions participating with Australia in the Working Holiday Maker Program (including Canada, Republic of Ireland, Malta and United Kingdom).

People who have worked as a seasonal worker in regional Australia for a minimum of three months while on their first Working Holiday visa, may be eligible to apply for a second Working Holiday visa.

You must pay a non-refundable visa application charge when you lodge your visa application.

If you are granted this visa you can:
- enter Australia within 12 months of grant;
- stay up to 12 months;
- leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid;
- work in Australia for up to 6 months with each employer;
- study or train for up to 4 months.

If you hold a second Working Holiday visa, you may return to work for a further 6 months for an employer with whom you worked on your first Working Holiday visa.

More detail can be found on the Working Holiday Program Fact Sheet.


Work & Holiday visa (USA)

The Work and Holiday Visa programme encourages cultural exchange and closer ties between Australia and other participating countries.  The Work and Holiday visa allows a stay of up to 12 months in Australia. People holding a Work and Holiday visa in Australia can work for each employer for up to six months and are able to work for the entire 12 months of the visa. There are no restrictions on the type of work that may be undertaken.

More detail can be found on the Work & Holiday visa (USA) Fact Sheet.

For more information on visas, visit the Department of Immigration & Citizenship website.