Teaching in Australia


The Australian English language industry context

There are now over 300 registered colleges delivering courses to international students within the English language industry in Australia. Over a 100 of these are also members of English Australia. Click here for a full list of English Australia Member Colleges with their contact details.

Over 124,000 international students undertook English language courses in 2012. Although student numbers remain fairly consistent throughout the year, without any particular high or low points, there tends to be more short term work available during the peak periods for tour groups in January/February and July/August.

For more information regarding the ELICOS sector in Australia, visit the ELICOS FAQs page.

Employment eligibility and conditions for teachers and other English language college staff in Australia are well defined and regulated.



Eligibility for employment in an English language college in Australia is assessed by the National ELT Accreditation Scheme (NEAS).

Visit the NEAS website for information regarding:

Minimum qualifications for ELT Centre Teachers

Minimum qualifications for ELT Centre Academic Managers



There are a range of Awards and Enterprise Agreements which determine conditions of employment for teachers. Although these differ from institution to institution and across states, they all provide for minimum conditions with regard to salary, leave etc. Salaries are determined by the level of qualifications and experience held by each individual.

If you have an overseas qualification and intend to apply for teaching or Academic Manager positions, it is advisable to confirm the acceptability of your qualifications (see above).

Rates of pay for teachers working in English language colleges are covered by a range of Awards or Enterprise agreements. An example of such an Award that covers a large number of colleges is the English Colleges Award

Tax is around 30 per cent with residents receiving significant deductions over non-residents. Those on a working holiday visa are classed as non-residents. There are also automatic contributions to Medicare, the national health insurance scheme, totaling about 1.5 per cent of taxable income.

With regards to health insurance, Australia has Reciprocal Health Care Agreements with eight countries - New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, Italy, Malta and Ireland. Under these Agreements, residents of these countries have restricted access to Medicare while visiting Australia. Medicare covers visitors for the duration of their stay, except those from Italy or Malta, who are covered for a maximum of six months. To be eligible, enrol at any Medicare office in Australia, making sure you have your passport with an appropriate visa and proof that you are enrolled in your own country's national health care scheme. Other nationals should take out private insurance.